Monday, January 19, 2009

My sister

I wish my sister could be here with me. She became politically active and aware long before I did, protesting for human rights at marches to close the School of the Americas back when I was busy having babies. Because of her I became committed to most of the principles of the Democratic Party, particularly those related to social justice. She and I have done a lot of campaigning together over the years and I know she'll be celebrating back in Chicago. In addition to sharing a passion for Barack Obama, we share clothes. Well, actually the sharing is kind of one way, and, of course, I am wearing one of her dresses to the ball we are going to tonight. She is excited that at least her dress will be here, even if she isn't!
We only have tickets to the Gala part of the Illinois State Society Ball (not the dinner) so we are going to a restaurant beforehand.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Amy!
    What a wonderful time you will have! I remember growing up and listening to my father singing in the kitchen while he washed dishes--"We shall overcome..." (Although I think he was commenting more on the pots and pans at that moment). He attended so many marches and demonstrations. It is still so like a dream that we are able to see this day! Wow!!! I can't wait until tomorrow!
    Have a great time!
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful dress! I hope we get to see a photo of you and Andy, decked out for the Ball... Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Amy, I'm sure you and Andy will be a big hit at the ball. Anxiously awaiting your next blog.

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how sweet. Thanks for the nice words. Is the ball tonight? I thought it was tomorrow night. You'll look great in the dress. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy, you deserve every moment of excitement and celebration while in Washington. Thank you for all your hard political work, consistently, for several years now. Without people like you, tomorrow could have been a very different day--

    Have a ball!

    Jim Gurley

    ReplyDelete